Home Occupation Application
In 2020 the City of Eagle revamped the city code on Home Occupation Permits (Title 8, Chapter 3, Section 5(L)). The City removed the requirement for a home occupation permit for some types of businesses. The new requirements for home-based businesses are as follows:
|Home Occupation Class||Definition||Requires Business License?||Requires Home Occupation Permit?|
|Class A||Shall be limited to those uses identified on the Official Schedule of District Regulations section as permitted within the underlying zone of the property. For instance, if the zone of the property is R-2-DA-P, the underlying zone is R.||Yes. Visit the Business License Page.
|Class B||Shall be those uses conducted entirely within the dwelling or accessory structure, except that, outdoor swimming lessons and dog training classes shall be permitted.||Yes. Visit the Business License Page.||No.|
|Class C||Shall be those uses including activities conducted outside of the dwelling or accessory structure, except for those uses classified as Class A or B home occupations. See below for a full list of conditions for Class C Home Occupation Permits.||Yes. Visit the Business License Page.||Yes. Contact Eagle Planning and Zoning.|
- Due to the recent code changes, the new online Home Occupation application is still in the works. In the meantime, please email the Eagle Planning and Zoning Department to begin the application process.
- If your business is considered a Class A or B Home Occupation, please proceed directly to the Eagle Business License page.
Class C Home Occupation Conditions
- Shall require City Council approval of a home occupation permit if deemed to be in compliance with Eagle City Code with conditions assuring said compliance.
- Shall have the outdoor area of use designed to assure no damage results to adjacent property.
- No outdoor display or storage of unregistered vehicles, vehicle parts, materials, goods, supplies or equipment shall be allowed on the premises, except for lawfully parked registered vehicles.
- Shall have a minimum of forty feet (40') between the outdoor area of use and the property line.
- Shall have a minimum of two (2) acres for sports fields, sports courts, horse riding lessons, and other similar uses as may be determined by the City Council.
- Shall have a minimum of three (3) acres for uses such as small wedding venues and other similar uses as may be determined by the City Council.
- Shall include conditions of approval specified by the City Council to regulate the hours of operation, days of operation, number of events, numbers of employees/customers/patrons/attendees, and other conditions specifically related to the proposed use to assure compliance with this chapter.
- Within seven (7) calendar days after a written decision has been rendered by the City Council, the Zoning Administrator shall provide the applicant with written notice of the action on the request.
- The home occupation permit shall be valid for a maximum of five (5) years at which time a new permit shall be required.
Regulations Applicable to All Home Occupations
- The operator of every home occupation shall reside in the dwelling unit on the property where the home occupation operates or on an adjacent property owned by the same.
- A home occupation must be conducted within a dwelling unit, within an approved accessory structure, or outdoors in accordance with this section. Parcels on which the home occupation is located may be adjacent to the parcel in which the dwelling unit is located so long as the adjacent parcels are under the same ownership.
- For home occupations conducted within a dwelling unit the total area used for the home occupation shall not exceed twenty five percent (25%) of the total floor area of the dwelling.
- For home occupations conducted within an accessory structure, the entire area of an accessory structure may be used for the home occupation provided the use within the structure is permitted by the building code adopted by the city.
- The home occupation business must be clearly incidental to the residential use of the property.
- No alteration of the exterior of the dwelling in which the home occupation is being conducted shall be made which changes the character thereof as a dwelling.
- No advertising or business signs are permitted in conjunction with the home occupation.
- No outdoor display or storage of unregistered vehicles, vehicle parts, materials, goods, supplies or equipment shall be allowed on the premises, except for lawfully parked vehicles.
- On-site parking for any vehicle primarily used in connection with the home occupation (employees/customers/patrons/attendees) shall be provided on a dust free surface in addition to parking required for the dwelling unit.
- The minimum number of covered parking spaces for the dwelling unit shall not be reduced below the minimum number required by this title.
- Sale of goods on the premises shall be limited to the products produced by the home occupation.
- Deliveries of bulk material other than by mail, local courier, or inter-city courier pertaining to the home occupation shall not exceed one (1) per week and shall be limited to the hours between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Further, traffic circulation shall not be restricted or disturbed as a result of a delivery to a home occupation.
- The home occupation shall not interfere with the delivery of utilities or other services to the area.
- The home occupation shall not generate any noise, vibrations, smoke, dust, odor, heat, glare or electrical interference with radio or television transmission in the area that would exceed that which is normally produced by a dwelling unit use.
- No toxic, explosive, flammable, radioactive or other restricted or hazardous material shall be used, sold or stored on the site.
- The home occupation shall at all times comply with all applicable city codes and the requirements of other regulatory agencies having jurisdiction.
Prohibited Home Occupations
A list of prohibited home occupations can be found in Eagle City Code Title 8, Chapter 3, Section 5(L).