Step 9 – Apply for Licenses and Permits

Most businesses need a combination of permits at the local and state level. Some businesses may also require permits at the federal level.

Federal Licenses & Permits

View the table below to see if any of your business activities are listed here, and then check with the related federal agency to see how to apply.

Business ActivityDescription
Issuing Agency


If you import or transport animals, animal products, biologics, biotechnology or plants across state line.

U.S. Department of Agriculture

Alcoholic beverages

If you manufacture, wholesale, import, or sell alcoholic beverages at a retail location.

Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau

Local Alcohol Beverage Control Board


If your business involves operating aircraft, transporting goods or people via air, or aircraft maintenance.

Federal Aviation Administration

Firearms, ammunition and explosives

If your business manufactures, deals, or imports firearms, ammunitions, and explosives.

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Fish and wildlife

If your business engages in any wildlife related activity, including the import or export of wildlife and derivative products.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Commercial fisheries

If your business engages in commercial fishing of any kind.

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Fisheries Service

Maritime transportation

If you provide ocean transportation or facilitate the shipment of cargo by sea.

Federal Maritime Commission

Mining and drilling

If your business is involved in drilling for natural gas, oil, or other mineral resources on federal lands.

Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement

Nuclear energy

If your business produces commercial nuclear energy, is a fuel cycle facility, or is involved in distribution and disposal of nuclear materials.

U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission

Radio and television broadcasting

If your business broadcasts information by radio, television, wire, satellite, or cable.

Federal Communications Commission

Transportation and logistics

If your business operates an oversize or overweight vehicle. Permits for oversize and overweight vehicles are issued by your state government, but the U.S. Department of Transportation can direct you to the correct state office.

U.S. Department of Transportation

State Licenses & Permits

Idaho Biz Help is an online tool that will walk you through the types of state licenses and permits that may be required. Note: Only business activities requiring special licenses or permits or that are taxed in addition to usual business taxes are listed in the Wizard. If you have a routine business need, please read through the text pages on this site to find information to help you start or expand your business. Idaho does not have a state business license. They are issued locally by city clerk's offices.

Local Licenses & Permits

The City of Eagle has requirements for business licensing, land use applications, and building permits. To access a list of permits and applications, view the Permits and Applications page. If you need more information about the types of licenses and permits required, please contact our office at 208-489-8755 or email Robin Collins.